Why Elope in Connecticut
If you're here, you might just be considering Connecticut as your elopement destination! Whether you're a New England local, or from out of state or out of the country - WELCOME!! As your New England destination elopement photographer, I've got allll the details on how to plan your dream east coast elopement! So why choose the little state of Connecticut?
Connecticut is a great place to elope because of its natural beauty and abundance of outdoor locations to choose from. State parks, beaches, and historic sites are just a few of the many options available for a beautiful and memorable ceremony. Plus, with each season offering its own unique beauty, there's a perfect time of year for every couple to tie the knot. I've had the pleasure of photographing some amazing and unique adventure elopements in this beautiful east coast destination. Here are five compelling reasons why choosing to elope in Connecticut is a GREAT idea!
1. The Landscapes are STUNNING
There are incredible mountains, woodlands, waterfalls, lakes; and even the very edge of the east coast if you love the ocean! The Appalachian Trail also runs through CT providing beautiful spots for your elopement - and plenty of hiking opportunities if that's your jam! Don't let Connecticut's small size fool you; this state is packed with soo much natural beauty and charm. From the stunning coastline to the rolling hills and picturesque towns. You could exchange vows outside along the Atlantic Ocean; the edge of the east coast. Or follow a romantic trail towards scenic vistas across the state lines. Maybe a mountaintop adventure elopement at sunrise, or a lakeside ceremony at sunset.
With quiet roads leading to hidden gems around every corner, Connecticut offers a perfect backdrop for an intimate New England elopement. The best places to elope in Connecticut are often a little off the beaten path - but that's why you have me, your experienced Connecticut elopement photographer to help guide ya!
Connecticut Elopement Location Ideas
- Chatfield Hollow State Park - Killingworth, CT
- Deer Lake, Killingworth, CT
- People’s State Forest - Barkhamsted, CT
- Topsmead State Park - Litchfield, CT
- Killiam Point - Branford, CT
2. The Outdoor Adventure Opportunities are Endless
There are plenty of amazing outdoor activity options that would make a Connecticut elopement SO FUN! You don't need to rush through your elopement, but consider making it an all-day elopement or even 2-day experience! You can go hiking or mountain biking in one of the state's many parks.
Connecticut has over 1,000 miles of hiking trails including the well known Appalachian Trail, There are also hundreds of land trusts throughout Connecticut with more hidden gems! Not to mention miles of rails to trails to walk or ride your bike! All along these trail systems are hidden treasures to experience the beauty of nature, beautiful vistas, woodlands, lakes and streams.
Here are several activity ideas for your elopement day:
- Hike the Appalachian Trail, stop by a waterfall and have a picnic, elope on a vista and watch the sunset. Treat yourself to dinner.
- Have a city hall elopement and visit The Wadsworth or New Britain Museum of Art, watch a live or see a show at The Bushnell.
- Elope on the Farmington river, Go antiquing, go fly-fishing on the Farmington, visit a brewery and enjoy dinner from your local food truck
- Explore one of the many historic landmarks like Gillette Castle State Park and visit nearby Chapman Falls, one of the many waterfalls in Connecticut.
- Book an Airbnb near one of your areas of interest and plan your Connecticut all day elopement for your Connecticut elopement.
- Start your day with yoga, go tubing, or bike ride on the Farmington River rail-to-trail,
- Go horseback riding and elope at nearby Topsmead and have a picnic and watch a gorgeous sunset
- Love the beach? Pack your swimsuit and have a picnic! Elope at Harkness Memorial Park and tour the beautiful gardens of Eolia Mansion and watch the sunset. Go out to dinner and enjoy some local, fresh seafood!
- Connecticut is also known for its many breweries, distilleries and wineries. Book a Beer Tour and be driven safely from point-to-point.
- Book a Hot Air Balloon ride
Having an elopement means you have the freedom and TIME to include activities that are meaningful to you as a couple! That doesn't have to mean outdoorsy excursions; it can be anything you want! Reading together, making a meal, taking a drive, visiting a historical monument, doing yoga, you can do almost anything at your elopement!
3. Every Season is Magical
Connecticut experiences each and every season in classic New England fashion. In the spring, the state comes alive with blooming flowers and trees, making it a great time for hiking and outdoor activities. Summer is perfect for swimming, boating, and enjoying the warm weather. Fall is famous for its stunning foliage, and many people come to Connecticut to take in those dreamy autumn colors. Having a fall elopement in Connecticut can be absolutely incredible I must say! And then Winter brings snow and chilly temperatures, but also opportunities for skiing, snowboarding, and all the coziness of the season.
As for the best time to get married in Connecticut, it really depends on your preferences and your elopement vision. Every season has its own element of magic and charm. Spring and fall offer mild temperatures and beautiful scenery, while summer is perfect for outdoor adventure weddings. Winter elopements can be cozy and romantic, possibly with a snowy backdrop. Ultimately, the best time to get married in Connecticut is whenever works best for you and your partner! I'm more than happy to offer any input and advice on our consult call. I offer tailored tips and advice based on your Connecticut elopement package and where you're thinking you want to choose for your location!
4. All the Charming Elopement Venues and Accommodations
In addition to all of the amazing outdoor elopement locations in Connecticut, there are also plenty of charming intimate wedding venues all across the state! If you're wanting to host a private event, whether with just the two of you or with a few guests - consider looking at venues like Eolia Mansion right next to the beautiful Harkness Memorial Park. The park makes for the most romantic garden elopement location in Connecticut!
You can find plenty of charming venues that host elopements and small weddings alike. Even some rental properties listed on Airbnb or VRBO can prove to be the perfect elopement or private celebration spot! I've got more exclusive recommendations for my clients when we begin the elopement planning process together! I LOVE collaborating with my couples to help them plan the perfect day, unique for them.
Intimate wedding or elopement venues in Connecticut
- Eolia Mansion at Harkness Memorial Park
- The Mayflower Inn + Spa - Washington, CT
- The Lighthouse Museum - Stonington, CT
- Tamarack Lodge + Glamping Resort - Voluntown, CT
5. It's an EASY place to Elope in New England
To elope in Connecticut is pretty straightforward! All you need to do is: obtain a marriage license from the town clerk in the town where you plan to get married, and then find a beautiful location to exchange your vows! There is no minimum time before eloping in Connecticut - yay! BUT, you do need an official ceremony done by an ordained officiant (vendor or friend/family member!) Connecticut makes the process pretty simple to get legally married. You don't even have to be an in-state resident or even a US citizen to get married in Connecticut! Witnesses are also optional at your elopement, and not required for your marriage license. But you can bring whoever you'd like of course!
After the legalities and paperwork are sorted out; you get to enjoy a stress-free elopement day with your photographer and whoever else you choose! Whether that's an all-day adventure in the mountains or an intimate celebration with loved ones; there's absolutely no wrong way to elope in Connecticut!
Are you looking for a connecticut elopement photographer who can capture your special day? Look no further!
I’m Corey, a New England and worldwide elopement photographer. I have the knowledge and experience to help you plan an unforgettable elopement day with personalized location lists, vendor recommendations, permits, guides and much more. My goal is to put couples at ease, inspire, encourage and empower them to break away from the traditional when it comes to their elopements!
Share this story